RCS statement on treatment of uncomplicated appendicitis
17 Jun 2015
A recent study in The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), found that 72.7 per cent of patients who received antibiotics for an uncomplicated acute appendicitis did not require surgery. The remaining 27.3 per cent did need to have an operation within one year of presentation with acute appendicitis.
This research is reported in the Daily Mail today. Surgeon Mr John Abercrombie, Council Lead for Emergency General Surgery at the Royal College of Surgeons, is quoted in the article. His statement in full is:
“Antibiotic treatment is already offered by many British surgeons to patients who have an uncomplicated appendicitis.
“Severe appendicitis remains a potentially very serious illness that requires surgical treatment.
“Patients with suspected appendicitis should continue to be referred to, and treated by, the general surgical emergency service.”
Notes to editors
A link to the study is here: http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2320315
In 2012, The BMJ published a study into the safety and efficacy of antibiotic treatment versus an operation (appendicectomy) for the primary treatment of uncomplicated acute appendicitis. It can be read here: http://www.bmj.com/content/344/bmj.e2156
The Daily Mail article can be read here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3127186/Having-appendix-thing-past-Operations-abandoned-study-shows-treating-appendicitis-antibiotics-just-effective.html#ixzz3dJ8hqyRD
The Royal College of Surgeons of England is committed to enabling surgeons to achieve and maintain the highest standards of surgical practice and patient care.
For more information please contact:
020 7869 6047/6052 and out-of hours: 07966 486 832; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org